History of the Castle Spa
V Before the First World War, at a time when the epoch of the greatest development and the so-called "golden age" of Karlovy Vary culminated, the project of this spa building in the spirit of architectural modernity was realized in Karlovy Vary. In the very heart of the spa zone, where the most precious springs of Karlovy Vary rise, the construction of the Castle Colonnade has begun. One of the basic ideas for the new building was the connection of the colonnade around the Upper Castle Spring with the Market Colonnade, and also the intention to build a dignified abode for the ruler of all Karlovy Vary springs for the next generations.
The architect B. Ohmann won the extensive competition in 1909, when his project was chosen and according to it, the Castle Colonnade was built in 1911-1913. It remained almost unchanged until the beginning of the major reconstruction and adaptation to the Castle Spa in 2000. The mastery in application and ingenious combination of various architectural styles was confirmed by B. Ohmann even in this case, when he left a picturesque roundel inspired by antique architecture. This roundel is a symbol of the spa town and remains one of the beautiful and characteristic features of classical crafts in Karlovy Vary to this day.
While maintaining all the essential architectural elements, the premises of the Castle Colonnade were fundamentally reconstructed in the period 2000-2001 and its generous adaptation to a complex medical facility called the Castle Spa happened. The key credo of the Castle Spa is the return to the traditional Karlovy Vary spa treatment. Comfort, atmosphere and individual care - all of this was enjoyed by spa visitors in Karlovy Vary during the "golden age". Everyone will find this (and also something more) here in a more than great extent thanks to the Castle Spa.
Legend of the Spirit of the Springs
An old legend says that it was in the places of the present Castle Spa that the mysterious Spirit of Springs, which ruled all Karlovy Vary springs, protected them from the exhaustion of their resources and from the negative interventions of natural elements lived. However, the three most important of these elements - fire, water and wind - were increasingly threatening the local springs, which were in constant danger of total demise and thus the demise of Karlovy Vary itself.
That is why the Spirit of the Springs one day decided to do a very demanding and dangerous act that only he could afford, due to his power and millennia of wisdom. He cursed the disobedient and dangerous elements into the rock that used to be his dwelling, and he himself retreated underground to be as close to his springs as possible. But since he was not only strong but also wise, he realized in time that fire, water, and wind could not be cursed forever. Therefore, every two hours, he releases them under his careful supervision and leaves them free to act for a while. Their short freedom begins with the Spirit of Springs igniting a fire in the Sun Yard that floats through the sky to touch the rock that is slowly opening.
With the clatter of falling rocks, the wind escapes from the rock and enjoys its brief freedom with thunder and lightning. After that, the last element, water comes into play, the Spirit of the Springs returns from the underground to appear in the center of the pool in all its dominant power and taking all the elements back to where they belonged long ago. And so again calm and peace return to the Castle Spa and Karlovy Vary itself. Clouds float calmly across the sky and the birds chatter joyfully. Mineral springs are silently flowing, bringing all the most important things - health, for love must be found by one's own.